10ml (2 tsp) Dijon mustard
500ml (2 cups) extra-virgin olive oil
15ml (1 tbsp) white wine vinegar
juice of 1⁄2 a lemon
a few drops of truffle oil
pinch of salt
WHITEBAIT AND FRITES:
3 large potatoes
50g cake flour
1L of sunflower oil, for frying 10ml (2tsp) sesame oil
30ml (2 tbsp) sesame seeds, lightly toasted
- FOR THE MAYONNAISE: Combine the egg yolks and mustard in a large bowl, and whisk until well combined. Add about half the oil in a thin, steady stream, whisking constantly for 3–5 minutes, or until thickened.
- Whisk the vinegar in after half the oil has been added. This will lighten the mixture somewhat and also lighten the colour. Continue to gradually add the remaining oil in a thin stream while whisking continuously. Season with a pinch of salt, a squeeze of lemon juice and a few drops of truffle oil.
- FOR THE WHITEBAIT AND FRITES: Peel the potatoes and slice them into thin frites. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Deep fry the frites in the oil until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen towel paper. Season with salt and sprinkle a few drops of truffle oil, keep aside until needed.
- Place the flour in a medium bowl and season with salt. Toss the whitebait through the seasoned flour and deep fry in the oil until golden- it only takes a few minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen towel paper. Combine the frites and whitebait and scoop them into bamboo cones. Serve with the truffle mayonnaise and Graham Beck Brut Non-Vintage.
FORWARD TO A FRIEND SHARE LINK VIA FACEBOOK DOWNLOAD PDF